Sunday, October 21, 2012

WIP

The squad leader, musician, and a normal member.
I've been working on a Bretonnian commission for a client for a bit now and figured I would post an update about how things are coming along. Though the white and black color scheme is not my favorite, nor one I find very exciting, I found some ways to spice it up with spot color choices such as brown for the under clothes and silver on what metal bits the minis do have.
The unit assembled, still a little work left

I was having trouble at one juncture about how to add some good definition to the white cloth areas. I hate using the GW black wash on white as white is the kind of color that absorbs whatever wash you put on it, thus the black wash turns it grey. I was thinking of just mixing up my own bleached bone wash when I came across a parchment wash from Secret Weapon. I haven't applied it yet but I'm really hoping the parchment wash coupled with some white highlights will give me the look I'm going for.
The client has also asked me to do some light freehand work on the units as well. He wants black crosses added to all of the shield motifs found across the soldiers. On some of the smaller shields found on hips and chests this won't be much of an issue, but I will have to employ a gundam marker and straight edge to make sure I keep the necessary clean crisp lines on the shields of the spearmen and on the standard bearer flags like the one seen below.
Thanks for reading. Keep your paintbrushes clean and your imaginations open.

The unit's standard bearer

No comments:

Post a Comment